Sunday, February 16, 2014

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
First Printing by Bloomsbury in 1999
Cover Art and Interior Illustrations by Mary GrandPré
My copy was printed in 2001 by Scholastic.

Padfoot.
Spoiler Alert: Do not read if you have not read past Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!

 I've had this post nearly completed for about a week now, but I had to put things on hold with my crazy work schedule and catching the flu. So without further delay, let's continue on with the Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban!

Harry's third year at Hogwarts is proving to be just as wild as the last. Convicted killer Sirius Black has broken out of the wizard prison of Azkaban. This is the first breakout in history, and the magical community is thrown into an uproar. If that wasn't bad enough, it seems that Black has escaped to kill Harry! With everyone worried for his safety, Harry is rarely let out of his teacher's sight. But despite their supervision, it appears that someone has been letting Black into the castle. Could it be Professor Snape, the teacher that hates Harry the most? Or Professor Lupin, the mysterious new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher? Harry is about to find out that people aren't always what they seem to be.

Final Rating: 5 out of 5
As a kid, I remember this one being my least favorite in the series. I'm not entirely sure why I felt that way, but I think it has to do with this being the book where things start to take a really dark turn. And by dark I don't just mean dark magic, I mean the darkness in human nature. (Spoiler Alert) Disney and Nickelodeon hadn't yet prepared me to find out that sometimes, the villain wins the fight and the good guy gets the blame. Now that I've grown up, I love this book all the more for approaching good and evil in a realistic way. J. K. Rowling does not sugar coat anything, and I think more children's writers should take the same approach.

Favorite Quote:
"You think the dead we loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don't recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble? Your father is alive in you, Harry, and he shows himself most plainly when you have need of him. How else could you produce that particular Patronus? Prongs rode again last night."- Albus Dumbledore, page 428


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is available through all booksellers, including Barnes and Noble and Amazon, in both physical and digital copies.

No comments:

Post a Comment